Thursday, June 15, 2006

Favorite World War II Movies

Here's a list of some of my favorite war movies:

--The Enemy Below
--Where Eagles Dare
--The Magnificent Seven
--Stalag 17
--The Great Escape
--Run Silent, Run Deep
--Sink the Bismarck
--The Battle of Britain
--Saving Private Ryan
--The Eagle Has Landed
--Rambo (all three)
--and there are a host of others I haven't seen in awhile, as well as a bunch I haven't seen yet (but people have recommended them to to me).

Why watch a war movie? It reminds one of beating the odds, how tentative life is, how deep the frustrations run for those fighting the war, and how far reaching the effects are of killing people. From a guy standpoint, the sheer power of seeing weapons used is exhilarating--why else do little boys (well, I know of one in particular) go around making explosion noises and drawing pictures of planes, ships and other vehicles. Kinda complex isn't it (or simpler than I think)?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home