Sunday, July 16, 2006

Omaha Beach Part 2

I waited for Chris and his dad at the overlook for Omaha Beach. While there, I met a Dutch man and his son. I believe the Dutch man was a World War II vet, from what I could pick up through his Dutch (I actually spoke some German with him and he replied in Dutch).

While waiting for Chris and his dad, I ventured up one of the well-groomed pathways going east through the cemetery and marveled at how "heavenly" it felt. What a contrast from what it must have been like 60 years before my visit!!!

When Chris and his dad reached the top, we decided to leave the cemetery and go visit a few other sites in the area. As we were leaving the parking lot on the east side, I noticed a towering monument that we had seen from the beach and asked if I could stop and look at it (Chris's dad was not up to much walking at the moment). So while they stayed in the car, I went running down the hill to the monument and took pictures of it, as well as a host of holes and bunkers--the hill was pockmarked with holes and passageways. Also got some more shots of the view east on Omaha beach (toward the other beach areas--Juno? Sword?).

Then we left the area, but not before sampling some local cuisine at a restaurant not far from the entrance to the cemetery. Next stop? Pont-du-Hoc!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home